Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug report

To: Sigurd Brattsti Sorensen <sigurdbs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug report
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:18:10 +1100

Sigurd Brattsti Søorensen wrote:

> I was trying to start a game (version 1.7.1) commpiled on sun, and I set
> xsize and ysize = max (200x100), and techlevel set to 0.
> I reckon it was the techlevel that did it, but anyways the server crashed
> several times with the message 'Segmentation fault' after a few (3-4?)
> rounds played.

Dear Sigurd,

I would suggest you try the most recent version of Freeciv
from the CVS snapshot page:

  http://www.freeciv.org/latest.html

If the problem still occurs, would you be able to find out
where it's crashing for us please?

- First, just check that the server is compiled with the -g
  debugging flag.  If it isn't, recompile it so it is.

- Then, start the server up under the debugger.  I hope you
  have gdb, the GNU debugger, but you should also be able
  to do this with some other debugger.

  To do this, modify the "ser" script, so that the "exec" on
  the last line is replaced with "gdb", or the name of your
  debugger.

- Run the Freeciv "civ" and "ser" scripts, and play until the
  segfault happens.

- In the debugger, type the command that shows the stack.  For
  gdb this is "bt".

- Send us the output of this command.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,