Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] fast technology explained

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] fast technology explained
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 17:21:44 +0100

I played a game of the CivII yesterday( btw. the interface is really
 bad for fast gaming.). I noticed the following things that explain
 fast technology:

  foodbox size: The foodbox starts with 20 i.e.
  (city.pop+1)*foodboxsize.
  Funny that I never noticed this before :-)

  date progress: the date progresses by 50 years till about 1500 BC,
   then faster.

  science advisor: this dude made me research one or two other techs
  before Republic, so I acquired that only in 800BC.
  I think this is a bug, not a feature :-)

  In the year 1AD, I noticed no change in the cost of techs
  ( but it was a bit difficult to notice, maybe.)
  I tested on Kings level, which made tech advance by 11 additional
  cost; It seemed to me like advancing technology was becoming more
  difficult like in: delta= 11+(epoch of the technology=0,1,2)+(date>0)
  but that is a guess.

  The landshape I started on was pretty annoying for fast
  city building( islandlike, with swamps I had to pass
  before getting to the fat lands ).
  There seems to be more contiguous terrain.
  (btw. after fiddling with mapgen 2&3,
   I'm now a big fan of mapgen 1).

 Another thing: the first citizen seemed to be content always
 regardless of unhappysize and cityfactor(which was about 16, I think).
 I guess this is made up for by the doubly unhappy drugies(!?).

 I think it would be smart make the date progress match the
 technologies, instead of looking at the date, so that the date
 increases by 1 year when Rocketry is researched, which makes
 the travel time of the spaceship equal turns.
 From memory, I think there is no function date_progress at the
 moment; I noticed this when thinking about
 sth. related to AI(which might need a turn counter).

--
Peter Schaefer           mailto:schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx