Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
saving and loading, was Re: [Freeciv-Dev] What do we want to do about Gr

To: cweber@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: saving and loading, was Re: [Freeciv-Dev] What do we want to do about Great Nations?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:04:34 +1100

(I'll just address a few points at the moment...)

Christopher M Weber wrote:

> 3) The ability to sav and load games
>       I'm sure we all know how long it takes to actually beat the game
> (if you have a chance, no thanks to the player-killer ai, you've really
> got the diety level down).  There currently is evedence that the ai saves
> due to all the .sav files it litters.  It would be nice if it was built
> into the game menu.

The AI doesn't save, the server does, depending on what you do with
the server option "saveturns".  You can manually save with the
command (eg) "save somename.sav" in the server, and start the server
using a saved game with "ser -f somename.sav"

That is, saving the game is not something a player does, but something
done by whoever is running the server.

> 5) This may or may not be in GN, I would like the abilty to edit the
> initial variables that are implemented on startup.  This instead of
> changing them each time I startup civserver

As a bit of a hack, you can set up a file which sets some or all the
options, and start the server with "ser -r filename"

Regards
-- David