Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New FreeCiv lists have been created

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New FreeCiv lists have been created
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 00:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Christian Grothoff wrote:
> > I just wanted to ask, if it wouldn't be the time to create more
> > freeciv-lists as we once discussed (and I only received positive
> > replys for that). I believe we had the following (in brief):
> >
> > freeciv --- playing strategy and other stuff
> > freeciv-announce --- "I want to play with you at 14:25 on 115.111.13.1
> > freeciv-patch --- all patches, especially alpha ones
> > freeciv-cvs --- Moderated: only patches that will go to cvs
> > freeciv-dev --- Development-discussion
>
> something-announce generally means a low-volume (usually moderated) list,
> eg, in this case for announcements of new freeciv releases or similar
> (eg, new mailing lists :-)
> I could envisage that being useful for some people who want to know about
> new releases etc but who don't want to get other discussion.  But since the
> freeciv list is mostly low volume that may not really be necessary.
>
> A cvs-checkins list could be useful if it could be automated, but I don't
> see any real benefit to splitting freeciv-patch off from freeciv-dev.

I tend to agree.  I don't see any point in splitting off -patch or -cvs from
-dev.  This list is usually low-moderate traffic, I don't know how removing
patches would help anything.  I could see a use for freeciv-announce, as a
moderate low volume list to announce new releases.  However, freeciv is so low
volume, that there isn't any point now.

I suppose a good question is, would anyone subscribe to only one of
freeciv-dev and freeciv-patch, and not both?  I think the everyone would just
subscribe to both.