Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New FreeCiv lists have been created

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New FreeCiv lists have been created
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:00:42 +1100

Christian Grothoff wrote:

> I just wanted to ask, if it wouldn't be the time to create more
> freeciv-lists as we once discussed (and I only received positive
> replys for that). I believe we had the following (in brief):
>
> freeciv --- playing strategy and other stuff
> freeciv-announce --- "I want to play with you at 14:25 on 115.111.13.1
> freeciv-patch --- all patches, especially alpha ones
> freeciv-cvs --- Moderated: only patches that will go to cvs
> freeciv-dev --- Development-discussion

something-announce generally means a low-volume (usually moderated) list,
eg, in this case for announcements of new freeciv releases or similar
(eg, new mailing lists :-)
I could envisage that being useful for some people who want to know about
new releases etc but who don't want to get other discussion.  But since the
freeciv list is mostly low volume that may not really be necessary.

A cvs-checkins list could be useful if it could be automated, but I don't
see any real benefit to splitting freeciv-patch off from freeciv-dev.

-- David