Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Mailing list archive

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Radovan Garabik <garabik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Scott Goehring <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:50:47 -0500

"John" == John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

John> As you're probably aware, various archives reside at
John> http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/.  If you have
John> these in standard Unix mbox-format (delimited by "From " lines),
John> they can be added to the archives.  I will have to see if I can
John> wade through the legal mumbo-jumbo from the midsun stuff and see
John> if it really is legal or not, but I don't forsee any trouble.

The "legal mumbo-jumbo" from midsun is so defectively worded that I
doubt any lawyer will buy it (after he stops laughing, of course).  In
any case, he has no right to claim copyright on individual posts,
whether or not passed through the list, and can only claim copyright
on archives if editorial selection goes into creating them (which is
why rec.humor.funny is copyrightable, but rec.humor is not).