Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2004:
[freeciv-data] Re: Age of Empires Modpack - Tileset

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Age of Empires Modpack - Tileset
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:55:37 -0500

Karl Fishman wrote:
I've recently started developing a modpack based on the Age of Empires technology tree / units etc. I have been using for testing graphics which are hacked from the Help file. Would these be considered 'proprietary graphics used without permission' (like the C-evo tileset) or not? They are freely available with the trial version.

Yes, they are proprietary. Go back and read that legal agreement that you clicked through when you installed the demo. It's possible that it allows you to distribute the images by themselves, but I doubt it.

Of course this doesn't prevent you from using them. Nothing is physically stopping you from distributing them, but you may eventually get a cease-and-desist letter. A better solution is to create a script that will automatically extract and convert the images from the original sources. This can be freely distributed (or even included in Freeciv) and allows people who already have a copy of the game to use the tileset *fairly* easily.

I've attached the PNG file if anyone wants to look at them.

I think this list doesn't allow such attachments. Try uploading it to the incoming directory (ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming), and send us a link.

jason