Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: December 2003:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending t

Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending the tech tree
From: "david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:37:09 -0800

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, raven@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Please add to this ticket with ideas of plausible modern/near-future
> > techs,
> > units, improvements and wonders that could be included into Freeciv's
> > rulesets.
>
> I'm not much on wonders, I prefer the idea of National Improvements
> ("Small Wonders" in Civ3), but here's a few ideas I've had for some of
> those that could be added on late in the modern era.  (Some of these might
> make things a little crazy and not be good for game balance, but I'm just
> brainstorming here)
>
> GPS - Global Possitioning System.
>
> This could have various effects, for instance, Missile units could be
> given a misrible failiure rate until you build GPS.  :-)
>
> Spy Satalite Network.
>
> Available a decent amount of time after the Apolo Program, and would give
> you a full active view of the whole planet.  Or perhaps a more balanced
> version of this would only show an active view of a particular part of the
> world (your choice), of a size desided on by how much funding (gold
> upkeep/year) you put into it.  It could perhaps give you some limited view
> -into- cities, but would have limitations such as not seeing units on
> forest squares, or something like that.

An individual satellite could be geosynchronous, so that it only allowed
you to observe N squares around its focal point.  You could maybe move the
focal point as if it were a unit, though it would be
invisible/noncorporeal.  (unless the civilization being spied on has the
tech level to detect or destroy satellites...)

> Units:
>
> Deep ocian mining vessile.  Ocian tiles could have various specials
> farther out from the coast, and to exploit them you would need a "Mining
> Ship" which would sail out to that tile, and "mine" it - as long as the
> unit stayed there and mined, it's home city would gain production (if it's
> oil), or gold (if it's... I dunno, a deep sea gold mine or something), or
> food if it's fish.

You could start with a new Engineer type, maybe "Terraformer" or something
like that.  They could do everything Engineers do, only faster, and they
can also travel underwater (they would look like they do on land, only
maybe watery, with "submersed" on their description).  Only other
submersed units could interact with them, with the likely exception of
submarines and destroyers and other futuristic submarine units.

A submersed unit would be exploring the ocean floor for the first time, so
it could uncover new geographical features as it explores.  (Mineral
deposits, sunken villages, etc.)

Once an underwater tube road is built, any regular land unit could use it.
Intercontinental tubes would be possible.  And from that point, you
wouldn't be too far from underwater cities...

> Automated units.  Military units with no personel.  Expensive, but don't
> make citizens unhappy in a Republic or Democracy.  Perhaps you would need
> to have developed Computers and Advanced Cryptography, and built some
> variety of satalite communications network, before you could build these.
> :-)

I like this, it seems like a natural extension of current tech.  You'd
definitely need GPS as a prerequisite, to have reliable control.

--David Brandt