Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: April 2003:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3597) german ruleset new version

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3597) german ruleset new version
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:29:41 -0500

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 07:59:09PM +0300, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 04:25:22PM +0100, Daniel Herding wrote:

Hello,
This ruleset includes Wuppertal, Barmen and Elberfeld.

Will new nations be included in freeciv? I've asked some time
ago about including the Byzantine empire[0],
but got no reply. Also the Ottoman empire is missing (more than 400
years of history). If new nations are to be included I could contribute
some of them.

New nations can be included. Only the laziness of the maintainers are
the problem. It is isn't considered a high priority job. I have
started to add some nations in PR#3589
(http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3589) However it
received not much feedback.

I wouldn't say they're a low priority - in principle, they're very simple to add.

The problem is any two patches to add new nations will conflict with each other. A new nation requires:

- A nation file, data/nations/xxx.ruleset.
- A new tileset tag in data/misc/flags.spec
- A new flag in data/misc/flags.png

Which means you have to manually edit flags.png to add your new flag - and if another nation is added in the meantime you have to do this again. I would be in favor of splitting (or allowing the split of) the flags into different files. Problem is, with the current tileset setup this is infeasible - we'd need, for instance, data/flags/*.png and data/flags/*.spec, and every tileset (including add-ons) would have to list every flags/*.spec file for inclusion. ESR did some work to change this, but it was never completed.

In addition to the above, there are a few pieces of code that need to be changed. For instance MAX_NUM_NATIONS==63 right now; changing this means a new capability.

jason