Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: February 2003:
[freeciv-data] civ2-freeciv ruleset converter

To: <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] civ2-freeciv ruleset converter
From: "baumans" <baumans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:32:46 -0500

I just uploaded "converter.zip" to incoming.  It's a (messy) perl program that
reads in a Civilization 2 modpack's rules.txt (from the current directory) and
outputs all the buildings, technologies, terrain, and units in the file.  Also
included is a "units.spec" file for use with civ2gfx to load the graphics for a
"Civilization 2 Fantastic Worlds" modpack.

This program hasn't been completely tested, but it should work relatively well.
 Unfortunately, Civ2 and Freeciv have some incompatabilities in their ruleset
files that are hard to reconcile.  Civ2 has nothing like a unit's role, so I
just made assumptions that made sense.  I wasn't sure how to tell of a unit was
a horse unit, so I just made an educated guess.  The worst problem is that
units are obsoleted by technologies in Civ2, but by other units in Freeciv.  I
can work around this by finding a unit thats prerequisite technology is the one
that obsoletes the current unit, but sometimes units like that don't exist.

Any comments?