Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: January 2003:
[freeciv-data] Re: State of the data patches

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: State of the data patches
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:45:34 -0500

Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > There's a lesson here.  Tying the data patch to the GUI stuff complicated
> > my life way too much.  The data files are designed so they can be enriched
> > without breaking the server's startup parse; we should bear that in mind
> > and decouple the two.
>
> That way we add information in the data files which is never tested
> and used.

But that's not true.  Your patch tests and uses the class/legend data,
for example.  I expect to develop new fields (if any) in conjunction with
game-logic programmers like you.

>         If a new kind of data is added we needed the network code
> and the GTK1 client code. GTK2 and Xaw would also be nice to have. You
> provided the new data, I wrote the code and now I want people opinions
> on the GUI code.

I like the look of the tabs.  Very nice, exactly as I would have
chosen.  I also like the way the legend displays in a box beneath the
flags.

But there is some minor problem; tabs other than "All" are blank.
This is with your patch version 3.  Once that's fixed, I think your
patch will be ready to be merged.

> > Here's how I would prefer to handle it, if Raimer doesn't object:
> >
> >1. Raimer, please drop the data-file stuff out of your nation-classification
> > patch entirely so we won't step on each other.  I think it would be better
> > if I maintained the class/legend stuff.  I wrote it, after all.
>
> No problem.

Thanks.

> > 2. I will take the responsibility to do a rollup patch that will bring
> > the data files fully up to date, *with* class/legend, and *with* Barsoom.
>
> See other mail about the Barsoom. Also merging these two are bad. I
> want to have two separate commits for them.

You mean separate commits for the other updates and Barsoom?  OK,
if that's how you want it, I'll leave Barsoom out of the rollup patch.

> > 3. From now on, the GUI maintainers get to play catchup with the data
> > files at their own pace.
>
> This won't work. Also will you be happy if it turns out that nobody
> has produced the network and GUI code in 6 months?

But it has already worked.  *You* have a patch that uses the
class/nation data, right now.  And it's not like I'm going to add new
fields at random; that would be senseless.  Before I add any new fields,
I'll be sure to have a clear idea how they'll be used, one I've discussed
with game-logic developers.

> > 4. Informally, I'm willing to 'own' the nation files.  Good role for
> > me, as improving them is something fun that I can fit into a busy
> > schedule, doing lots of small steps, with little risk that I'll
> > break anything.
>
> That is very good.

I thought you might like it.  They show signs of not being maintained
well, and have not been edited as a unit.  For example, most use
native-language forms of city names (which I think is the right
thing), but a few use Anglicized ones. This should be fixed.  And there
are all kinds of little historical nits; one I spotted tonight is that
Baghdad is listed as a Persian city when it should be an Arab one (it
was built by the Caliph al-Mansur, 921-1001).