Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: December 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixes and additions for nation file

To: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixes and additions for nation files
From: Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:49:17 -0800

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:21:08PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Arnor, Gondor, they were all the same before the death of Elendil.  But
> > do you undestand my point about Edain -> Numenoreans -> Dunedan?
>
> Hm.  The Encyclopedia of Arda half-agrees with you.  It implies that the
> use of Dûnedain specifically for the Men of Arnor was a Third Age thing.

"A term used in Middle-earth for the Men of Númenor and (especially)
their descendants in Arnor and Gondor after the Downfall in II 3319."
From: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/d/dunedain.html

FWIW... its not canon.

> > > (I'm one of *those* Tolkien fans,  Taught myself to write Feanorian and
> > > actually recognized some spoken Elvish in the LOT movie -- when I wasn't
> > > being too distracted by Liv Tyler's lips, that is.)
> >
> > I did too, and I wasn't even distracted ;)  What did distract me was how
> > many times she showed up.
>
> I have to tell you that I think giving Arwen more screen time was one of
> Peter Jackson's good calls.  Substituting her for Gildor Inglorion at the
> Fords of Bruinen was both clever and effective, IMO.

Yes, it does have to make money, and come in under 50 hours of footage,
and under budget ;)

> I think I'd feel the same way even if I didn't think Liv Tyler is one
> of the sexiest women living.
>
> >                            I actually wrote a poem in Quenya once... If
> > I continue this paragraph I will likely lower my social standing a bit...
>
> Eh?  Being obsessive about Tolkien trivia is in the finest old hacker
> tradition -- and I say that wearing my anthropologist hat, not just
> because I fit the description myself. :-)

Alright, I suppose this is probably the best place for me to say such
things.  I'm just a little touchy because my wife just wrote our
christmas letter and described FUADEC as a "computer geek convention"
and how bored she was...

--
Paul Zastoupil