Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation update - last call

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation update - last call
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:20:39 -0700

scripsit Mike Kaufman:

> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:43:08AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >
> > --- Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Attached is the latest diff for some vital portions of the documentation
> > > that is by tradition only updated every release.
> >
> > One minor change.
> >
> > SAWADA Katsuya <ama@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > The capitals for his first name are annoying. Make it
> >
> > Sawada
> >

> It is, I believe, his surname, and capitals indicate this, and he
> specifically requested that this be so.

This is common French usage (at least, maybe other languages too).  It's
particularly useful in a multiethnic environment where it may not be
obvious which is the family name (e.g., Magyar and Japanese names are
written both ways at times), or where `Mary Smith Johnson' could be
`Johnson, Mary Smith' or `Smith Johnson, Mary'.

Heck, I have enough trouble getting people to keep my first and last
name straight in the U.S., and Greek names are written in the same order
as English ones ;)

I would suggest, however, that if Katsuya's name is written that way
others are too, for the sake of consistency.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul