Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cevo2 -still copyrighted pics in the unit set-

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cevo2 -still copyrighted pics in the unit set-
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:07:06 -0600

On 2002.05.23 16:45:47 -0600 Thanasis Kinias wrote:

> scripsit T.J.T van Kooten:
> (inter alia)
> > So it seems that actual mods and scenarios based on the commercial
> > original are in the clear. I'm not sure if they should be included
> in
> > the standard Freeciv version though. Better be safe than sorry.  But
>
> > again, IANAL...
>
> IANAL either, but I know this isn't something to take chances with.
> Given that the creators of the cevo set seem not to have had any
> reservations about using copyrighted material, it is not possible to
> certify any of the images as `clean', unless their origin and license
> is
> known (e.g., someone says "I made that image from scratch and I GPL'd
> it.")  Free software has enough enemies with expensive lawyers --
> don't
> give them any excuse to start legal action.  Remember that in the U.S.
> they can do things like seize all your hardware as evidence, and you
> have to win a trial to get your server back then.
>
> I just can't see how it's worth the risk, especially since there are
> other tilesets which are certainly untainted.

These are my sentiments exactly.  I think it would be better to have
crummy graphics and no risk of a lawsuit.  As the game becomes more
popular someone with better drawing skills will eventually come along.

Also, since people occasionally donate money to OSS projects, it might
be worth finding out what it would cost to commission an artist to do a
tileset or two, and then put prominent notice on the Web page
soliciting donations dedicated to that purpose.  (Make sure the artist
understands that Freeciv will own the resulting images, and make sure
the donors know in advance how the resulting community property will be
licensed.)

Tangentially, it's not obvious to me that the GPL can be applied very
clearly to things like textual data and graphics.  The FSF has some
other licenses in similar spirit that might be more appropriate, and if
none of them are quite right it might be a good idea to write them with
a suggestion that they should produce some kind of "content license" in
the same spirit as the GPL.  But IMO it would be a _very_ good idea and
a sensible policy to formally license any graphics accepted for Freeciv
(including variant tilesets and modpack tilesets) and put a reference
to that license directly on the tileset.  In ten years someone will be
designing another new GPL'd game and will have the same questions about
our tilesets that we have about the ones we're finding.

Ultimately, people interested in graphics might want to start a
freegamegraphics.org or something, because lots of this kind of stuff
could be used for more than one OSS game, and a common clearinghouse
might gather and distribute submissions more quickly, and it might even
prove possible to define some standard formats that game designers
could program around in order to allow sharing the better tilesets
without any need for customization.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas