Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cevo2 -still copyrighted pics in the unit set-

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cevo2 -still copyrighted pics in the unit set-
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:45:47 -0700

scripsit T.J.T van Kooten:
(inter alia)
> So it seems that actual mods and scenarios based on the commercial
> original are in the clear. I'm not sure if they should be included in
> the standard Freeciv version though. Better be safe than sorry.  But
> again, IANAL...

IANAL either, but I know this isn't something to take chances with.
Given that the creators of the cevo set seem not to have had any
reservations about using copyrighted material, it is not possible to
certify any of the images as `clean', unless their origin and license is
known (e.g., someone says "I made that image from scratch and I GPL'd
it.")  Free software has enough enemies with expensive lawyers -- don't
give them any excuse to start legal action.  Remember that in the U.S.
they can do things like seize all your hardware as evidence, and you
have to win a trial to get your server back then.

I just can't see how it's worth the risk, especially since there are
other tilesets which are certainly untainted.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul