Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:08:14 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> In real life, I might counter this with aircraft/helis. Or I might use tanks
> with mech inf to close and destroy these units in open battle. The point is
> that I cannot counter with units specifically able to destroy these in battle.

Ironclad problems? Send in the Rust Monsters! Yeah we'd be back to
Stratego at that point.

> Straight to feudalism for the wonderful pikemen/knight combo, as well as Sun
> Tzu.

This may explain why the phallic-object-equipped units that have Social
Rank or Class oppose porn sites. The argument "you may have a big one but
I can whip up plenty more do dont need you" is disconcerting to some
phallic-object-equipped units. Notice too that in idealised Knighthood
there is meant to be just ONE lady whose favour the Knight is trying to
earn, not a whole townful once the town is conquered...

Bene Gesserit "co-existence" (such as in the [Avalon Hill?] Dune boardgame
might end up coming in in the process of trying to bridge scales or
include the special handling of player-character units...

> Musketeers are also great with artillery. In this time period though,
> ironclads
> tend to be very good attackers.

I tend to use Ironclads for defense for some reason. I do not like the
proliferation of units in what FreeCiv has shown me of Civ II, adding them
seems to be another "if you cannot bewilder them with brilliance baffle
them with bull" tactic rather than an honest attempt to lay bare more
clearly underlying mechanisms of the development of species, cultures and
civilisations.

BB
MM