Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/suggestion: Different heights
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:12:05 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> [debate moved to freeciv-data, please direct all follow-ups there]

> It might make sense to make mountains totally impassable to all land
> torops except those a special kind (F_MOUNTAIN?), like Alpine, Explorer
> and Partisans. This would introduce a rather interesting tactical element,
> I think.

I usually differentiate "impassable mountains". At some scales every tile
of them might include a pass, rendering them obsolete. But at other scales
- such as when magnifying one tile to play out that tile's action at
greater detail due to presence of player-characters - those "passes" might
be mountain tiles in a map composed mostly of "impassible" mountain tiles.

Just as each planet needs to have its own civ-map (with seed based on
coordinate in intergalactic supercluster of clusters of galactic clusters
etc?) to be able to generate it and bring it up to date when one lands on
that planet; each tile needs a seed based on more digits of the overall
coordinate (of that starsystem within which universe etc) for finding its
present state. Or, at some scales, simply generating the tile randomly
each time without need for total predestination from time of (big bang or
god's word or licensing of the game for use in that nation etc... Use IP
number somewhere in seeds?)

> them. There is no concept in freeciv of weakened units, but if there was,
> that would be a quite neat, IMHO, way to reduce to power of artillery,
> aircraft and shore bombardment.

It is only in Civ1 mode that there are no weakened units. In standard
mode, alas, a unit of people whose grandparents lost a battle may still be
scarred... You could have artillery be able only to reduce hit points
never to actually eliminate the unit, if you wanted only to weaken them.
Alternately, as the hit points get lower the chance of actually hitting
any of the few remaining components of the unit could be decreased. (Only
one bloke left of that regiment but dammit can't seem to hit him") (Clark
Gable?)

> I wouldn't take it too far, though, since freeciv isn't a war game...

Hear hear. If we shoot all objectors maybe it'll be unanimous!

> Most cities are usually poorly defended, and with fog of war, easily prey
> to a surprise landing.

Sounds like Gubbins?  ;-)

> Please do mentioned them for completeness.

Yes, please do.

--
Having eliminated the Gubbins, whoever's left, however mundane, must be...