Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: January 2001:
[freeciv-data] Ruleset limitations

To: Freeciv data <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Ruleset limitations
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:07:15 +0200 (EET)

 We really should document ruleset limitations somewhere. I have seen
several modified rulesets, which do not work as author meant simply
because freeciv code base does not handle it right (as one would expect
after reading README.rulesets and comments inside rulesets). I bet it's
quite frustrating to spent hours to balance your rules only to find out
that game does not handle them right.
 At very least, README.rulesets should mention that such limitations
exists.

 Well, instead of just whining I probably should at least list those
limitations I'm aware of:

 - currently unused entries

     - units.ruleset
         - uk_gold

     - buildings.ruleset
          - bldg_req
          - terr_gate
          - spec_gate
          - equiv_range
          - equiv_repl
          - effect

     - nations.ruleset
          - attack
          - expand
          - civilized
          - advisors
          - tech_goals
          - wonder
          - government (?)

 - units.ruleset

     - At least one unit with role "FirstBuild" must be available
       from start (tech_req = "None")

     - At least one unit with flag "Cities" must be available from start
       (tech_req = "None")

     - There must be unit for these roles:

         - "Explorer"
         - "FerryBoat"
         - "Hut"
         - "Barbarian"
         - "BarbarianLeader"
         - "BarbarianBuild"
         - "BarbarianBoat"  (move_type must be "Sea")
         - "BarbarianSea"

     - Currently, every unit with flag "Cities" must have also flag
       "Settlers"

     - At least these unit flag combinatios won't work:

         - "Diplomat" and "Caravan"

 Caz