Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Periods of Civilization

To: "Wong TM (Huang Deming)" <lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;"Freeciv-Data" <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Periods of Civilization
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:20:30 +0200

Wong TM (Huang Deming) <lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:
> NEOLITHIC_AGEc.6500-2900BC
> -------------------------------

c. 7000-5000 BC agriculture, cities, irigations, city wals, details in one of
my previous posts.

> c.6500BC-3000BCPottery is made in greece and Crete.
> c.5000BC-4000BCFarming spreads through Europe
> c.3500BC The wheel is invented in Sumer in the Middle East.
> c.3100BCCities develop in Sumer. Writing develops in Sumer and Egypt.

Cities are much earlier invention. Yeriho and Catal Huyuk at least.

> BRONZE_AGEc.2900-1000BC
> -------------------------------
>
> c.2900BCMetal is now in widespread use.
> c.2590BCThe largest of the pyramids, that of Khufu (Cheops), was
> built in the Fourth Dynasty in Giza, a necropolis for ancient Memphis.
Wasn't there bigger piramid somewhere else ?
China or Latin America ?

?

?

> ARCHARIC_AGEc.800-500BC
> -----------------------------
>
> 776BCFirst Olympic Games held.

s/First/First documented/

> c.510BCMonarchy in ROme is replaced by a republic.

quite mythical date, isn't it ?

> c.500BCSun Tzu was a Chinese general, wrotea  collection of essays
> entitled "The Art of War" constitutes the first known treatise on the
> subject.
>
> CLASSICAL_AGEc.500-336BC
> -----------------------------
>
> c.520BCHanging Gardens of Babylon. Nebuchadnezzar II (604-562 B.C.)
> is credited with building them.
> 479BCDeath of the Chinese religious teacher Confucius.
> 403BCDemocracy is reinstated in Athens.
> 399BCSocrates is condemmed to death.
> c.367BCFounded by Ptolemy I Soter (367?-283 B.C.), the Great Library
> of Alexandria was greatly embellished and enhanced by Ptolemy II
> Philadelphius, who endowed it with the ambitious mission of procuring a
> copy of every existing book.
>
> HELLENISTIC_AGEc.323-30BC
> ----------------------------
>
> c.290BCThe Lighthouse of Alexandria was conceived by Ptolemy I Soter,
> but was completed in the reign of his son Ptolemy II Philadelphus.
> c.282BCThe construction of the Colossus, dedicated to Helios, the sun
> god, took 12 years.
> c.214BCThe Great Wall of China was built by Qin Shi Huangdi, Qin
> Dynasty (221-206 B.C.).

The Great Wall of China was builded during 2k years, part after part.

> THE_MIDDLE_AGEc.0-1100AD
> ----------------------------
>
> 1095ADThe First Crusade was called by Pope Urban II in 1095 in a
> field in Clermont Ferrand. Richard the Lion Heart (1157-1199) learned
> of the loss of Jerusalem to Saladin in 1183 and soon took up the cross
> of the crusades.
>
> MEDIEVAL_AGE1100-1500AD
> -----------------------------
>
> c.1270ADMarco Polo (1254-1324) In 1271, his family brought him to the
> court of Kublai Khan in China, when he was only 17.
> c.1500ADNicholaus Copernicus (1473-1543), a Polish mathematician,
> became famous for his book "De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium"

Add Greek scientist who did the same in Ancient Era ?

> RENAISSANCE_AGE1400-1750AD
> -----------------------------

land reclamation etc.
was in some old post.

> c.1470ADLeonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519) was a true Rennaisance man.
> c.1510ADMichaelangelo Buonarroti (1495-1564) well-known for his
> painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
> 1522ADFerdinand Magellan (1480?-1521) discovered that the Atlantic
> and Pacific Oceans meet, and plotted a course to take a voyage around
> the world.  He died. Juan Sebastián del Cano took the ship's trip
> around the world slightly more than three years, arriving in Seville on
> September 9, 1522.
> 1599ADWilliam Shakespeare (1564-1616) is the greatest English
> playwright. One of the proprietors of the Globe Theater in London.
> c.1670ADSir Isaac Newton (1643-1727) is one of the greatest
> physicists of all time.
> c.1710ADJohann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) was one of the greatest
> composers of all time.
>
> INDUSTRIAL_AGE1750-1900AD
> -----------------------------
>
> c.1740ADAdam Smith (1723-1790) wrote "On the Causes of the Wealth of
> Nations"
> 1859ADCharles Darwin (1809-1882) published his most famous book, "On
> the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection".
> 1886ADThe Statue of Liberty was completed in 1886.
>
> MODERN_AGE>1900AD
> -------------------------
>
> 1919ADCongress approved the right to vote for women.

Please add NZ date. US date is very late.

> 1929ADAs President, Herbert Hoover took an active part in settling
> the engineering problems and location of the dam in Black Canyon.
> Proclaimed the Boulder Canyon Project Act to be in effect on June 25,
> 1929.
> 1942ADIn June, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers took over the project
> of development of an atomic bomb, code-naming it the "Manhattan
> Engineer District" or Manhattan Project.

add ENIAC here or the first British Computer, whatever its name.

> 1946ADUnited Nations first General Assembly was held.
> 1969ADThe first manned mission to the moon set down on July 20, 1969.
> Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took the first steps by humans on
> another planetary body.

UNIX, Internet and GNU Project were also important.