Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] [Freeciv-Dev] tolerance, political-correctness, and fasci

To: SamBC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] [Freeciv-Dev] tolerance, political-correctness, and fascism
From: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, SamBC wrote:
> >      I haven't even been arguing lately for the inclusion of the Nazi
> > "nation" into the freeciv distribution.  However, I have been arguing
> > against being treated unfairly in that regard (i.e., why should the Nazi
> > nation be denied, but other nations with a less-than-stellar history like
> > the Chinese, the Boers, and now probably also the CSA, be welcomed?).
>
> And you have been ignoring the good, rational reason against its inclusion
> that it was not a nation or society, but one period in the history of a
> nation, and that nation is already included.

I was about to write, "You need to read the entire thread before you
post", when I went and found the e-mail message I was referring to and saw
that it was the mail that apparently didn't make it to the people on the
freeciv-dev mailing list (perhaps because of a malformed subject line?).
So, I apologize for almost having said that, and also wondering why the
heck people were bringing this point up when I thought it'd been
addressed.

The relevant line is:  "... a WW2 scenario is what I was mostly
envisioning."  In other words, I didn't introduce it to represent Germany
forever and all time, just Nazi Germany in the years 1933-1945 mainly for
any WW2 scenarios that might in the future arise.  So, you'll probably
ask, "So why the heck didn't you POST a WW2 Scenario in the first place"?
Answer:  Because I didn't want to take the time to sit down and DEVELOP a
whole blamed scenario, okay?  (I just developed a "piece" of it, so to
speak, which with the accompanying fascism government type and other
goodies, could be added to by *OTHER* people and developed into a
pretty-cool scenario.  Or so I thought.  Until it was pointed out to just
what extent I am lucky to be living in the United States, where with few
exceptions we enjoy Freedom of Speech, a freedom that apparently is far
from universal in Europe.)

---Reed Meyer