Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Fascism units and techs-only patch

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Fascism units and techs-only patch
From: Niels Weber <nath@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:12:58 +0200

Hi Reed!

Reed Meyer wrote:

>      The proposed new units are "SS Troops" and "Panzer".  They are
> powerful, and were made that way as suitable rewards for spending the
> research $$$ on the two new techs.  Let me know if they are too powerful;
> I do strive for a game balance.  (They aren't TOO powerful, but they
> are definitely powerful enough to make any sane player make
> "Indoctrination" one of his target tech goals.)
>      Unfortunately, both "SS Troops" and "Panzer" are probably too
> obviously Nazi-related.  As such, I'm willing to rename them and/or change
> their images.  (The images are in the attached "units.xpm".)  In

Panzer isn't Nazi-related, it's just the german word for armor / tank. So
"Heavy Tank" would be much
better. (Otherwise "Panzer" and "Armour" would lead to the same translation.)

> particular, the German cross in the Panzer image should be removed to
> make the tank more generic.  The "SS" symbol in the SS Troops image is
> probably inflammatory to some, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

And to the "SS"-runes applies the same law as to the swastika, so the use of
them would outlaw freeciv in
Germany.

CU
    Niels