Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: December 2005:
[freeciv-ai] Re: ai research-- ai research overflow

To: landijk-forum@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: ai research-- ai research overflow
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:25:53 -0500

landijk-forum@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
   Efforts to reproduce the research overflow in 2.07
have so far been unsuccessful.  There is only so much
game time you can get over at your girlfriend's
apartment...
   However, I haven't been able to recreate the
scenario in which I last observed the research
overflow.  Two ai players were in an alliance, and the
larger player had the overflow problem.  Is the
alliance a red herring?
   Perhaps I should give a bit more detail here.  The
larger ai player had 30 or so cities and was
researching The Republic at a rate of 30 bulbs/turn
under Despotism.  It got over the 146 mark to get The
Republic, and then just kept going.  I think it got
somewhere around 300 bulbs before being awarded the
tech and moving on to Ceremonial Burial.  The extra
bulbs were apparently lost and didn't count toward the
next goal.
  Another, smaller ai player not in the alliance had
already researched The Republic by this time.  I
didn't watch the research happen, but from
considerations of size I think it must have been
researching more slowly, and therefore must not have
had the overflow issue.  The smaller player that was
in the alliance got The Republic about the same time
the large player did, but I cannot be sure it was on
the same turn.

In earlier versions (2.0.3 maybe) there was a bug whereby the AI handicaps weren't sent to the client, so the AI would be shown exceeding its bulb tech requirement. However this only happened on easier difficulty levels which had handicaps.

-jason