Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2005:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI personalities

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI personalities
From: Peter Enzerink <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:18:42 +1100

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
Per (and others),

I was actually thinking about it lately. In the building system overhaul which I never finished, I was trying to implement tags for proposed builds. They were something like:
1. EMERGENCY_MILITARY  (emergency defence)
2. EMERGENCY_CIVIL  (temples)
3. MILITARY (aggressive units)
4. EXPANSION (settlers)
5. CIVIL (development like banks)

Then to compare them, I wanted to implement the following simple rules: 1 trumps all others
2 trumps all but 1
3, 4 and 5 have certain weights and the comparison is done on numerical basis

Changing these weights would allow cheap implementation of three traits.
The issue with that approach is that it tends to favour short term needs beyond long term needs which can result in resource starvation. It also tends to lean towards more aggressive strategy whereas the AI should also consider politics/personality in the weighting.

One of the real challenges with freeciv is having AI that is sufficiently balanced and flexible to accommodate different rule sets.

Cheers