Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: September 2005:
[freeciv-ai] (PR#13939) AI sees Subs?

To: bmorris3@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] (PR#13939) AI sees Subs?
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:49:47 -0700

> [bmorris3@xxxxxxxxxx - Sat Sep 10 21:44:48 2005]:
>
> Hi.  I have an opponent who's highest naval unit is an ironclad;  So
> he's nowhere near having submarines.  Yet his ironclad just attacked and
> killed one of my subs.  How did he see it?  Is this a bug?
>
> Even if he accidently ran into it, shouldn't the sub be under water and
> the surface vessel just cruise on past overhead?

It's not a bug it's a feature!

1.  Any surface ship can see a sub if you're right next to it.

2.  Surface ships can attack subs.  Depth charges and torpedoes.

3.  The harder AI may cheat by knowing about units it can't see (but
don't think this makes your subs worthless; they're still the best naval
dominance unit).

Actually #3 may be a bug.  But the AI is pretty worthless without it.

-jason