Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: February 2005:
[freeciv-ai] Re: two major tactical ai weaknesses

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv AI <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: two major tactical ai weaknesses
From: Benoit Hudson <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:57:14 -0500

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:06:14PM +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just want to note something you probably already know. Some AI weaknesses
> which - if absent - could improve AI a lot (maybe too much ;-) ):
>
> - AI diplomat(s) buys cities - and then goes to the next city, the just won
> city remains empty.
>
> - AI stacks attack cities successfully - but then do not conquer them.

I've seen this one.  Typically, the AI attacks and wins but the unit is
badly damaged.  It seems that self-preservation (fleeing to the nearest
allied town) overcomes the lure of a free city.

It's not entirely crazy: you don't necessarily want to take a city just
to lose it again.  But it's usually wrong.

        -- Benoît