Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: June 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: New settler code v17

To: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: New settler code v17
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:35:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> CHANGES:
>  - some speed increase
>  - stop phase 2 (overseas) if we have a good enough result from phase 1
>  - fix a few bugs
>  - bump want for simplest ferry if we can't get overseas and we need to
> this is not terribly useful, though, since you can generally only use it
> on non-reserved empty areas, or otherwise the result will be skewed by the
> settler going there due to reservations
>  - if you set a unit on debug, code will not print the cityresult stuff
> when we decide to make a city somewhere

It looks quite good.  Syela way to estimate want for the tech is to
pretend we can have the simplest boat, calculate the want and use it as
the tech want (but not use it as the settler want of course).  This is a
clever way but possibly a bit slow.  By me, a WAG is fine.

> I still think it should have some more work. It works really well on most
> maps, but stumbles (a bit worse than current 'hard' AI) on a few maps.

1. Can we commit it and then tune in situ?
2. Can you give me some maps where it stumbles?
3. Can you describe in detail how you measure the performance (and add
this info to README.AI too).

> Perhaps also more speed up is desirable - I am considering doing a more
> general static map of the world to cache more tile data.

I am also considering a world map to hold various info for the AI.  Each
player should have one.  What do you mean by "static"?  Not reallocated
every turn or one for all AIs?