Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: December 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#6912) Optimize/reimplement CM: per-city caches

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#6912) Optimize/reimplement CM: per-city caches
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:25:09 -0800

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:04:18AM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:

> The patch is here 15% faster. I have however problems with the patch:
>  - the indexing via city id is bad
>  - storing the parameter in the cache struct is bad

Hmm.  More profiling on my side shows about the same thing.
BTW, I'm aware that the patch suffers from bit rot already; I can
provide a new patch sometime after Friday.

Indexing via city id: what's the problem with that?  I guess if indexing
is the problem, then I could just use a hash table.

Storing the parameter: what's wrong with that?  The idea of storing it
is for two reasons: (1) it's handy (fewer arguments to all the
functions, which BTW also should give a miniscule speedup); (2) in the
hypothetical future, if we can prove all is identical to before, then we
can just return the old answer; for that, we need to store a copy of the
parameter.  But whatever; I don't feel strongly about it, and the
hypothetical future can be dealt with when it hypothetically arrives.

        -- Benoît