Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2003:
[freeciv-ai] (PR#5633) Order of AI activities.

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] (PR#5633) Order of AI activities.
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 06:51:17 -0700

This was discussed over IRC and we came to an agreement that AI
activities should be all performed in one place, either in the end of
the turn or in the beginning.  Now I started implementing it and thought
of a good reason not to do it.

It has to do with urgent purchase of defenders.

If AI moves in the end:
Imagine an AI warrior moves up to your empty city.  Next turn, you go to
that city and buy a phalanx.  However, AI gets to move before the city
is refreshed and you wasted your money and lost a city.  Human players
will not be happy with this change.

If AI moves in the beginning:
Same situation in reverse, AI does the emergency purchase, but you get
to move before the purchase takes effect.  Human players will complain
that AI too stupid.  Of course, it can see under fog and all, but
emergency pruchase 2 turns in advance might not work very well for AI.

So the current situation is probably the best: AI moves in the beginning
of turn and manages cities in the end.  And since we started the whole
discussion because it was hard to trace when AI moved what unit, all we
need to do is to make AI _not_ move units in the end of turn.

A patch will follow shortly.