Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#3467) more problems

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#3467) more problems
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:37:38 -0700

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > The patch works fine, but the idling problem is not completely solved. I
> > am not sure why.
>
> I cannot do anything unless I have precise symptoms :(

Uh, units stand still, like not moving, for several turns, but don't
fortify? Happens in pretty much every AI game I play with lots of AIs (gen
1 or 3).

> > Also, the explorer code does not check if moving ahead
> > will place us in direct danger.
>
> A bigger solution is needed, in the form of danger map...

Not pretty, but enemies_at() will do the job.

> > I've seen good units that were waiting for
> > reinforcements being grabbed by explorer code and sent into their deaths.
> > Bad.
>
> Are you sure the explorer code is responsible?

Yep.

> What can I say...Make sure they are not grabbed by the explorer code...

All units default to exploration. Problem is, the attack code decides
proceeding is too dangerous, so we stand and wait for reinforcements.
Attack code exits but the unit still has movement left, so we pass the
bucket to the explorer code, which bravely but foolishly decides to push
forward.