Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Question on find_boat

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Question on find_boat
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:15:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> I have thought a little.I know how to create a land-sea-land map but
> for it to work we need a function estimating waiting time at the port of
> departure.This function is a plug-in module, the path-finding code
> itself wouldn't depend on it.
>
> So the questions are:
> 1. How to make this function.
> 2. How to manage existing boats.
> 3. How to make sure new boats are build if there is demand.
>
> Also I don't know where to start since if we break at least onecomponent,
> the whole thing will collapse.Maybe debugging find_boat will help?

I would strongly suggest _not_ fixing the current code. Instead, build the
new code separately, and when it is done, phase out the old in favour of
the new. This way we can also compare the two codebases and do the
measurements that Raimar loves so much. We can use the two new ai roles
(AIUNIT_PICKUP, AIUNIT_DROPOFF) as a sign that the unit is to use the new
code until it is ready to handle everything.

How about that?