Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI use airlift

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI use airlift
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:41:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> I really don't like the way it "makes" AI build airports.

Neither do I. There should at least be a check there if we can build it in
a decent amount of turns (ie the city has very high production).

(It also only needs one airport per "city cluster", since all those cities
will be in danger simultaneously and the summoned units will help them
all, but that is harder to code.)

> Also, we probably don't need to do ai_airlift in 2000 BC, since there
> are no airports around. Maybe we can add a check, so we don't consider
> airlifting before it's time.

That will have to wait for gen effects, I guess. I don't want to hardcode
a check for B_AIRPORT.

> And the question of preferences: I would rather see
>
> 1. Solid ferry code

Will have to wait for the path finding code.

> 2. Defenders being summoned (and asked to be built) from nearby cities

I am not sure what exactly you want here.

> than this rather disfunctional addition.

3. AI Diplomacy
4. AI Autoattack
5. Solid settlers code

But hey, it was easy to code, unlike the above, so why not...

Before you dismiss it as "dysfunctional", try the attached savegame. It
shows the function in all its splendor. (You may want to help the homeless
units back to the cities for transportation, though, but that isn't a
problem with the patch but with other code.)

The thing is, while the AI may not have use for this feature in 95% of
games normally played with default ruleset, there may be other rulesets.
The AI should be capable of using all of the game rules.