Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI use airlift

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI use airlift
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:16:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> This small patch makes the AI use the airlift capability of airports to
> transport units from where they are least needed to where they are most
> needed. It also makes the AI build airports.

I really don't like the way it "makes" AI build airports.  The reasons
are:
1. Airports are expensive.
2. This additional step on the way to building air units will mean that
air units will be seen even less frequently.

Also, we probably don't need to do ai_airlift in 2000 BC, since there are
no airports around.  Maybe we can add a check, so we don't consider
airlifting before it's time.

And the question of preferences: I would rather see

1. Solid ferry code

2. Defenders being summoned (and asked to be built) from nearby cities

than this rather disfunctional addition.

G.

P.S. The above criticism applies to myself in equal or even greater
measure...