Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: September 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Why does the partisan does not conquer th

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jordi Negrevernis i Font <jorneg@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Why does the partisan does not conquer that city? (PR#2054)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:50:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> 2. This problem is wide-spread.I reckon that sometimes it's the
> bodyguard code which doesn't release the unit.Sometimes it's simply that
> the city was cleared after the potential occupier is processed.I thought
> about it and the solutions would probably involve either cycling through
> all units again and forcing them to occupy cities if they have enough
> movepoints or cycling through empty (or better emptied) enemy cities and
> see if any of our units is within walking distance.The second is
> preferable and can be done better with the new path finding.

This can easily be solved (assuming this is the problem) by changing the
structure of ai_manage_units() so that we first run throgh all bodyguards
(let them have a chance to rendezvous before we move their charges), then
move all units but bodyguards, then finally run bodyguards again (let them
have a chance to detach and attack empty cities).

This won't spend much extra CPU since we will (or should) abort at once if
the unit has zero moves left.

A similar structuring should probably be done for ferries, but the current
ferry code, I have concluded, is unsalvagable so I don't really wnat to
mess with it.

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra