Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2009:
[aclug-L] Home Network Troubles

To: Air Capital Linux <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Home Network Troubles
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 22:31:00 -0500

[I know you guys are LINUX.. but maybe you can help a Windows XP guy]

Have a computer with built-in NIC.

I used this computer for home automation (running my X10 interfaces) and for
Weather Data gathering

All of a sudden I can not share files or surf the web.

The computer is being assigned an IP address from my Linksys Wireless-G
Cable Gateway WCG200 ver.2.. so I know that it is getting that far..

All other hardware connected to the home network is connecting to the web
(as this email proves).

I have..
Changed cables
Changed ports on the Linksys Box
Reinstalled WindowsXP from reformat of the harddrive.

I can PING local computers but not anything out side my home on this
computer.
BUT it does not display other other computers shared drives and this
computers shared drives do not display on other systems

When I try to ping this computer from other computers it 'errors out' the
first two tries then pings correctly two the ping then finishes.

Can the built-in NIC be damaged/fail in a way that would only allow partial
network connections??... my past experience the card failed in full not part
or have greatly reduced speeds.

Or do you have any other suggestions..

--David

--
I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.
Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional...