Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2008:
[aclug-L] Re: Possible meeting topic--What makes a computer

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Possible meeting topic--What makes a computer
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:37:37 -0600

On Feb 4, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Michael Holmes wrote:

> What I read that sun is doing, is the pc is a paper weight and when
> you turn
> it on, it goes to the server and loads the os then at that point you
> choose
> your application and it downloads.  I am speaking of modern
> applications.
> My thought is that a virus cannot live, it the entire os dies each
> day.  It
> is just a thought anyway. It just seemed like an interesting
> subject, I was
> reading about sun on tech republic, I wondered if anything similar
> was going
> on with Linux.  I myself have discovered ssh sessions, they are neat
> but
> offer challenges for security reasons.

The idea of booting a Linux kernel from a server, as well as mounting
the rest of the OS from a remote server, has certainly been done. Now,
a specific application of said mechanism may or may not have been
done. Here is a starting point if you are interested in trying it out.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html

Given that it is Linux we are talking about, I'm not sure that virus
prevention would be the primary motivation. Maintaining a stable
configuration would seem more likely.

Steve