Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2008:
[aclug-L] Re: Possible meeting topic--What makes a computer

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Possible meeting topic--What makes a computer
From: Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:25:34 -0600

What exactly is your question?  Booting a PC from the network is not
really really fundamentally any different than booting it from local
media.

The minimum required to boot a "PC" (by which I mean any "IBM-PC"
compatible computer) is probably about 256kb of RAM (maybe less, if you
can find a DOS network driver that will fit in 128kb or 64kb of RAM), an
8088 or 8086 CPU, and a NIC with a boot ROM.  With that, you could do a
DOS netboot from a TFTP server, and get a C:> prompt.

If you're talking about something more "modern"... If you want to boot
Linux on a PC, you need about 8mb of RAM, same as when booting from a
hard drive.

Michael Holmes wrote:
> Group;
>
> I was sitting here in my office.  I know sun Microsystems is dabbling with
> this, but here it goes anyway.  What is the minimum required to boot a pc?
> What is the server supplied the operating system, the hard drive contains
> just the kenel image and boot loader and probably a /home directory.
> Everything else resides on the server and the "modules" are loaded into
> memory as needed.  What's everyone's thoughts? Does anybody know if there is
> already a group working on this task? (other than sun)  As  a company goes,
> you not only could be an ISP, but, you could lease or rent an operating
> system to users.
>
> Michael Holmes
>
> 708 West 46th St. South
>
> Wichita, KS 67217
>
> (316)522-3637(h)
>
> (316)619-7339(c)

Inbound and outbound email scanned for spam and viruses by the
DoubleCheck Email Manager: http://www.doublecheckemail.com/