Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Fedora Core annoyance

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Fedora Core annoyance
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:11:41 -0600

Jonathan Hall wrote:
> Is there a slick way to install a new kernel on an old version of FC? Or
> should I download the "official" kernel source for 2.6.9, and patch up
> to 2.6.18.3 then build?

i'd use (if possible) the latest kernel src.rpm for FC3 as a starting
point ... will probably have to remove all the patches from the spec
file, since they'll no longer be valid ... that's what i've done before
when managing RPMs for an RPM-based distribution ... either that or take
the src.rpm from FC6 for 2.6.18 and back-port it ... don't know about
all the dependencies offhand, so both ways may be a major task

> I have a feeling the underlynig problem is that the build scripts that
> come with the stock kernel Makefile are too generic to work with the FC
> infrastructure properly...

yeah, it probably builds a pretty generic kernel that theoretically
would work across multiple platforms, then packages it up in a tarball
... but, since FC/RH always does lots of extra stuff on boot, they'll
require it to be much more tailored ...

you might try googling to see if anyone else has built an rpm for 2.6.18
for FC3 and downloading/recompiling their src.rpm

-g-

--
If Bush is Christian, I'm switching religions!
Habeas corpus, R.I.P. (1215-2006) .. Thanks for nothing, Bush! :(