Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2006:
[aclug-L] Fedora Core annoyance

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Fedora Core annoyance
From: Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:29:09 -0600

Well okay... not really.  But I am quite frustrated with the task of
getting kernel 2.6.18.3 working on ancient Fedora Core 3.

What's the trick?  Google's information is quite limited, and the IRC
channels like to give useful information like "Get FC6 instead!"
Unfortunately we're supporting some 1-2k boxes running FC3, so upgrading
to FC6 isn't going to be as easily done as said.

Thus far, I've downloaded the stock 2.6.18.3 kernel source, and ran
'make rpm', which built a valid RPM that installed okay.  But it did not
update grub.conf (which I did manually), and did not support initrd, so
the kernel paniced on boot.

Is there a slick way to install a new kernel on an old version of FC? Or
should I download the "official" kernel source for 2.6.9, and patch up
to 2.6.18.3 then build?

I have a feeling the underlynig problem is that the build scripts that
come with the stock kernel Makefile are too generic to work with the FC
infrastructure properly...

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)

--
Jonathan