Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2004:
[aclug-L] [announce] November Aclug Meeting: Monday Nov 8 @ 7:30pm: DVD

To: <announce@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] [announce] November Aclug Meeting: Monday Nov 8 @ 7:30pm: DVD transcoding
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:12:28 -0600

This month's presentation by Jonathan Hall will discuss how to rip DVDs then
transcode them for playback on a computer or (S|XS)VCD player.

He writes: "I will discuss various video and audio codecs and container
formats, converting between various audio and video formats for various
needs, various free software packages available for the various aspects of
DVD ripping and transcoding, with a particular emphasis on DVD::Rip and
transcode (which I have found to be most useful in most cases)."

"I will touch briefly on creating your own DVDs, either from video ripped
from DVDs, or your own video sources (such as digital camcorder, or TV tuner
card, etc), as well as a "MiniDVD" form(DVD video on standard CDs) for those
of us who don't have DVD burners, but want to play thier own videos in a
standard DVD player. This portion of the discussion will be primarily
conceptual, with few specific details."

"I will also discuss briefly a few aspects of video playback, including a
comparison of mplayer and xine and their respective features."

Monday, Nov 8 @ 7:30pm
Rm 260 (?) Jabara Hall
Wichita State University

---