Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: External Hard drive enclosure

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: External Hard drive enclosure
From: Larry Weaver <jlweaver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:01:56 -0500

I have 3 of these.  Manufactured by Bytecc.  Mine are ME-320U2 which are IDE
to USB 2.0 interface.  Any device that has an IDE bus connector can be
mounted in the enclosure (CD_ROM, CD-RW, HDD, Zip drives, etc).  No special
software is required when used under Win2000, WinXP. Plug &Pray, Hot
swappable.   The devices do not operate as fast as they would if they were
connected internally to the IDE interface. The transfer rate claimed is
1.5MBS on USB 1.0, 50MBS on IEEE1394 (firewire), 60MBS on USB 2.0.  The
device is also made with a firewire interface as ME-3202F.  One possible
source is listed below but you can look for better pricing thru a GOOGLE
search..  Very handy to have around.

http://store.ncix.com/products/index.php?store=ncix&sku=11637&vpn=ME
-320U2F[1]

~Larry Weaver
===============================
Jonathan Hall wrote:
I have one that supposedly has both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports, but I've
onlyever used the USB 2.0 ports. It seems to work fine, but it's a lot
slowerthan plugging the drive in directly to the IDE channel, but for my
needs that's fine. -- Jonathan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Clint
Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>[2] To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>[3] Sent: Monday,
October 18, 2004 2:35 PM Subject: [aclug-L] External Hard drive enclosure I
am looking to get an external hard drive/ cd/dvd-rqw enclosure, So that I
canaccess a dvd burner with my laptop and some hardrives also. I'd prefer
onewith firewire as the research I've seen says it is effectively faster
thenUSB 2.0. Has anyone here had any experience with these? I've found
several, but I can't find any reviews (except for New Egg, which removes
negative reviews). Clint -- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx[4] list. To
http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi[7]

--- Links ---
   1 http://store.ncix.com/products/index.php?store=ncix&sku=11637&vpn=ME-320U2F