Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: Ideas for Sept Aclug Meeting?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Ideas for Sept Aclug Meeting?
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 03:06:30 -0500

The DPSs (or rough equivolents, depending on what type of physical
network(s) you're connecting to) in a Linux router are found on the NICs,
Modems, or other network hardware.

When routing a T line, ATM, or other such networks commonly routed with a
Cisco, or when terminating a PRI or such (as in the case with a PM3),
separate hardware handles that in Linux, too.  With the proper hardware, a
Linux box routing multple DS3s will also have practically no CPU load
unless, of course, a lot of policy routing or similar, is in place.

It may be true on some level that Cisco vs. Linux is apples-to-oranges, but
the difference is primarily in the software.  The Cisco's software is
designed *only* to handle routing.  There aren't any options for
framebuffers, webcams, or 3D sound on a Cisco (at least not to my
knowledge!).  Granted, Cisco hardware is also "fine tuned" for network
routing, that can have only so much effect.

-- Jonathan