Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2004:
[aclug-L] Debian From Scratch

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Debian From Scratch
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:54:53 -0500

Hi,

This has caught some interest on the Debian lists so I figured I'd
mention it here in case anyone's interested:

Some of you Gentoo or Debian fans may be interested in Debian From
Scratch (DFS).  DFS is a single-CD bootable rescue and installation
environment.  As a rescue environment, it aims to be the only tool you
need.  To that end, it has support for pretty much every filesystem
Linux supports (ext2, ext3, reiser3, reiser4, jfs, xfs, cramfs, etc),
LVM, RAID, ethernet, etc.  It also comes with a full C environment,
enough to build yourself a kernel if you need one in an emergency.  And
there's vim and emacs both.  (You just boot this CD and all this stuff
runs directly from it).  The CD uses the Grub bootloader, so you can
boot any hard disk partiton you like even if your HD bootloader is
fried.  It's also got parted and various undelete utilities.

It can also install the base system for three i386 Debian versions and
amd64 sid.  This installation process is very similar to Gentoo -- you
get a doc that says how to run cfdisk and mkfs :-)

ISOs are at http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/

-- John