Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: wireless mouse remote control

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: wireless mouse remote control
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:18:21 -0500

On Sunday 18 April 2004 07:06 am, DAVID CARMICHAEL wrote:
> Looking to add a remote control to your PC based
> multia media system....
> Do not know if there are Linux drivers for this
> device..
> But since as far as I can tell it should work as a
> standard wireless mouse??
>=20
> wireless mouse remote control
>=20
> http://tinyurl.com/28sul
>=20
> http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?PID=3DACC-REMX2&LID=
=3D137
>=20

It says PS/2 interface, so it either acts like a mouse (works) or uses a cu=
stom driver (ala=20
cuecat).  This looks custom enough that it might have a custom driver, so I=
 suggest google,=20
or calling them to see.

Anne:
A wireless mouse is not going to be any different in interface (unless you =
find one that's=20
really wierd) from a wired mouse that plugs into the same port as the recie=
ver plugs into.=20
(eg: a wireless w/ps/2 connector acts the same as a wired ps/2 (likely more=
 jittery)) and=20
anything that supports the HID (Human Interface Device) guidelines should w=
ork great in=20
Linux.=20

I personally have a gyration keyboard & mouse (USB HID) and the mouse is am=
ong the=20
absolute best I have used if not the best. (requires a charger, and it only=
 skips=20
when it runs low on charge, generally 3 days of not charging(In other words=
 when I forget=20
to put it in the charger)), and I know people with Logitech cordless mice, =
and they work=20
fine (skip a bit, but every wireless mouse I have used exception above, hav=
e skipped)

James L