Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Motorola Calls on Linux for Smart Phone

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Motorola Calls on Linux for Smart Phone
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 05:03:17 -0600

The anonymous FTP has restrictions for security reasons.

In order to do a put as anonymous you MUST have a directory
(/var/ftp/pub/incoming) with world write permission
in order to do a get as anonymous you MUST have a directory with world
read permission. (/var/ftp/pub is the default for this)

Most sites will have an incoming directory that is world write if they
want to allow incoming files but they usually do not allow world users
to list or read the contents.
That has at least a little bit of security in that it cannot be used as
a relay point between users unless the second user who is trying to
retreive the file knows the exact filename.
The configuration setting for the ftp daemon determines whether the
files can even be retrieved at all by anonymous ftp once a put is completed

The world readable directory then has only the contents that the site
manager has decided are to be made public and no one can 'put' files in
that directory unless explicitly authorized by the permissions granted.

It sounds as if you have the default permissions for the /var/ftp/pub
directory which is world readable, but only can be written to by root.
          drwxr-sr-x    2 root     ftp          4096 Jun 23  2002
/var/ftp/pub
AND, the RH8 default server config is set to lock any user who logs in
under their own account to only their own directory tree from their home
directory downward.  Thus logging in as "user" does not give the user
access to the entire server as it has in previous releases.

Thus, if you want to allow anonymous users to 'put' files to your server
you would need to create a subdirectory under /var/ftp/pub that has
world write permissions (often "/var/ftp/pub/incoming").  To separate
the files being served as outgoing use different subdirectories under
/var/ftp/pub for each category..... each with world read permissions.