Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Slow drive sections

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Slow drive sections
From: "Arnold Cavazos Jr." <abcjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:08:48 -0600

I think that the proper answer to this argument is along the lines of:

* It depends.

and

* Use your best judgment.

Here is some reading that may enlight everybody though:

The ZCAV program which I initially released as a separate package tests
the performance of different zones of a hard drive. It does not write
any data (so you can use it on full file systems). It can show why
comparing the speed of Windows at the start of a hard drive to Linux at
the end of the hard drive (typical dual-boot scenario) isn't a valid
comparison.

http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/zcav/

--