Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2003:
[aclug-L] Slow drive sections

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Slow drive sections
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:34:44 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Jeff Vian wrote:

> speed of access, related to seek time.
> on an average, sectors located near the spindle are faster to access
> than sectors located near the outer edge.

Why is this the case?  I don't see anything in the physical construction
of the drive that would cause access to sectors at the edge of the disk to
be slower than access near the spindle.  Especially at any noticable
level.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
I'm not lost, I'm "locationally challenged".