Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] FW: Pavlovich wins!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: Pavlovich wins!
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:16:45 -0600

We talked about this case at our meeting earlier this month.  It is the DVD
case that was, at the time, still pending.

----- Forwarded message from "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb@xxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: tb@xxxxxxxxxx (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
Date: 25 Nov 2002 10:17:37 -0800
To: debian-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Pavlovich wins!

Since we were involved in this case, I thought I'd note that the
Supreme Court of California has ruled in the case of "Pavlovich
v. Superior Court of Santa Clara County":

"Not surprisingly, the so-called Internet revolution has spawned a
host of new legal issues as courts have struggled to apply traditional
legal frameworks to this new communication medium.  Today, we join
this struggle and consider the impact of the Internet on the
determination of personal jurisdiction.  In this case, a California
court exercised personal jurisdiction over a defendant based on a
posting on an Internet Web site.  Under the particular facts of this
case, we conclude the court's exercise of jurisdiction was improper."

Decided 4-3.  You can find the decision at
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/opinions.cgi?Courts=S.

Thomas