Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Glade...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Glade...
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:52:43 -0600

Glade is a GUI interface builder for the GTK+ library. Basically it is
a tool to help you build interfaces based on GTK+ widgets. You can
point and click your way to creating the look and feel of an interface
and then it will spit out the code to make it happen. You then need to
be able to glue that code together with your own to make a complete
application. A good start would be an overview of the GTK+
library. Glade does not eliminate your need to understand the library,
rather, is a tool to help in the development of a GTK+ based
application. www.gtk.org is probably the place to start.

I haven't looked at Glade for probably 2 years, so it may now be able
to do much more than what I remember.

Also, if you typically write stuff in perl, looking at perl/Tk might
be another route to go. I know there is a pretty good OReilly book on
perl/Tk.

Steve