Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Noted changes in RedHat 8.0

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Noted changes in RedHat 8.0
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:22:56 -0600

Several things have changed, as have been noted here.
The following changes have been headaches for me. I found the fixes, but
still a headache

1.  XMMS no longer plays MP3s.   The fix is to get the mpg123 plugin
from www.xmms.org and install it.  Then it works as it used to .  This
change is documented in the release notes.

2.  XCDROAST has changed.
      a.  It has fewer rippers available, including dropping the
built-in cdparanoia clone and most of the encoders for MP3s are no
longer part of the redhat distribution.
      b  cdda2wav and cdparanoia are files whose permissions get changed
when setting xcdroast to  non-root mode.

3.  GRIP is messed up by the changes noted in 2.b above.  In order to
rip CDs with grip using cdda2wav I had to reset the permissions on it to
allow  a regular user to rip the CD. As root it worked normally, but
that is not a routine I like to use.