Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: This is the coolest

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: This is the coolest
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:13:14 -0500

> On LZ4 everybody flipped for "Stairway to Heaven," and all the other FM
> radio "hits, "but I was blown away by the song right before it, "The
> Battle of Evermore." It was  just an acoustic guitar, a mandolin, and

yah, when I first heard LZ4/Zoso in high school (mid to late 90's) I was
blown away...  my fav's included, of course, the FM hits, but also stuff
that (atleast after i was born) wasn't played so much, like Going To
California and Misty Mountain Hop...  also loved using my parents' "sweet"
486 to rip sections of tracks and listen to them backwards...  if I didn't
believe so much of that stuff was coincidence (except "Weird Al"'s
"subliminal" tracks), i would have been really freaked...  there are a
number of songs where i could have sworn i heard various phrases
backwards...  including songs other than Stairway...

> Their "Liege and Lief" album is fabulous. On LZ4 they made various
> references to Celtic and Germanic paganism, and "...Evermore" is has
> references to Tolkien. Their "roots" efforts seemed to most people to be
> too silly and probably cooked up in a drug fog. Later the
> tongue-in-cheek film "This is Spinal Tap" parodied this with their own
> hopping dwarves.

heh, another classic! :)  i remember my 8th grade teacher (who was into Rush
and turned me on to Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Dead Milkmen) playing
spinal tap scenes in our english class...  those were the days! :P

gLaNDix